From the Director's Heart

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, my Lord

Friday, April 07, 2006

Don't Forget Your Vegetables

In our Girls Only group I'm trying very hard to make the Bible come alive, or be user-friendly, or what ever phrase you want to use that means 'We like this and it makes Jesus real to us.' I've sort of been struggling with the whole thing and have become a bit frustrated, to tell you the truth.

Last week I read aloud a virtual story that I wrote about the woman who to
uched the hem of Jesus' garment. By 'virtual story' I mean that I tried to put the listener right into the story by describing the sensations of being there. In other words I said things like this:

There is dust under your feet and it is settling across the top of your toes. For a while it is quiet and you can hear the sound of your shoes as they hit the ground. Then the sound of the crowd in the distance begins to get a bit louder.You keep walking, and soon you reach the edge of the crowd. You still can't see Him.

I spent a good deal of time--several hours even--writing this story out. I tried really hard to make the reading of it captivating. And it went over fairly well. The girls listened and asked a few questions and it was pretty good.

Tonight I tried something else. And you might think it sounds silly, seeing as how they are teenagers and all, but I showed them a Veggie Tales video. The story of Esther.

And guess what? They loved it. They were full of questions and they really understood the story. I simply followed it up with some explanations and drew parallels with the actual Bible story and talked about how it all might apply to them. It was hugely successful as far as my goal of bringing the story alive.

Prep time: about half an hour.

So yeah. You just never know what God will use and how He will use it. I've just got to trust. The battle is not mine.

The battle is not ours.
We look to God above
for He will guide us safely through
and gu
ard us with His love.

So do not be afraid.
We need not run and hide
for there is nothing we can't do
when God is at our side. --Queen Esther the zucchini


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home